We seek to recruit a highly motivated individual to work as part of a team dedicated to biological image analysis. This team is embedded in a larger Scientific Computing team based within an academic research institute (MPI-CBG) and provides image analysis services to the Dresden scientific community. The close vicinity of research groups working at the interface of biology and physics as well as optical technology development and image processing provides an exciting and unique environment to work on multidisciplinary projects.
The Senior Bio-Image Analyst will support the needs of wet lab biologists by meeting with them to discuss their projects and proposing and implementing solutions for the image analysis component of their research. There is also the opportunity to work closely with a range of computational research groups focused on computer vision, machine learning, and bio-image analysis. The Dresden campus has a strong involvement in the Fiji/ImageJ community and involvement in such efforts is also encouraged.
As the senior analyst within the team, the position also demands a high sense of responsibility and the enthusiasm to mentor, guide and collaborate with other team members. The senior analyst will use existing software packages to demonstrate and implement quantitative, scientifically rigorous and repeatable image analysis pipelines while also considering factors such as usability and the integration of the solution into existing infrastructure. The team deals with a diverse and exciting range of projects, and a successful candidate will enjoy innovating and being creative in using existing tools and testing and implementing new tools to efficiently solve scientific problems. In addition, the successful candidate will contribute to the teaching of image analysis strategies and techniques, will keep up-to-date with new trends, and will work to continue our strong relationships with imaging facilities on campus.
This is a full-time, onsite position (Dresden, Germany), with salary based on experience. Scionics may provide assistance with moving costs.
- Support scientists by designing and building image analysis workflows using a variety of open source and commercial packages such as ImageJ/Fiji, Ilastik, Huygens, Imaris and CellProfiler
Write custom scripts and macros to combine, integrate, and expand existing tools using Python, ImageJ Macro and/or MATLAB
- Manage a “walk-in” consultation service for scientists to guide them to the correct software and image analysis solution
- Prepare training materials and teach and train researchers with regard to image analysis techniques and appropriate tools/programming languages
- Collaborate with researchers to develop and implement algorithms that solve specific image processing problems from cell and developmental biology
- Maintain effective communication with imaging facilities on campus and foster mutual knowledge exchange
- Test and propose new tools and strategies in order to keep up-to-date with current bio-image analysis trends
- A minimum of a PhD (or Masters with 5 years experience) in Life Science with experience in performing (image) data analysis or alternatively a Physics / Computer Science / data analysis background with experience in working with biologists
- Proven expertise in image processing, its application in biology and experience with a variety of image analysis software such as Fiji/ImageJ, Ilastik, CellProfiler, KNIME, Imaris and Huygens
Programming skills in Python, MATLAB, Java or equivalent language and familiarity in developing algorithms for image data analysis
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to explain complex information in an easy to understand way
- Ability to multitask and to work in a multidisciplinary environment with rapidly changing projects
- The capability and desire to act as a project team leader, mentoring and guiding other members of the team where necessary
- The successful candidate will be a strong team player who is curious, creative, and rigorous
Must be fluent in English
- Experience with classic image processing (convolution, morphology, tracking, etc) as well as machine-learning/deep-learning concepts (random forest, u-net, classification, etc)
Experience with relevant libraries such as scikit-image, scikit-learn, OpenCV, Keras, TensorFlow
- Experience with high performance computing
- Open-source software development skills
- Hands-on experience with microscopy
- Contract: Scionics offers favorable contract conditions and salary based on experience.
- Corporate culture: Scionics is an SME with strong ties to academia. If you work here, you will meet a lot of international people (~50% of your colleagues would be non-German) and get a good opportunity to broaden your horizons not only culturally but also with regard to modern science. The work environment in Scionics is informal and with less bureaucracy than a big corporation (but not as chaotic as a start-up).
- Location: Scionics is headquartered in Dresden, a beautiful but still affordable city. The Scionics offices are located close to the river Elbe, with residential areas within walking distance.
- Company stability: Scionics is a privately held, profitable company.
If you are interested in this position, please send your CV, cover letter and any relevant documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “BioImage Analyst”.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com